Some of you may know that I co-founded a campaign to create a national holiday for kale. Over the last two years, we’ve pulled together a dedicated team to celebrate kale’s incredible health benefits, highlight kale’s culinary versatility, and promote eating, growing and sharing kale throughout America.
What started as a small community has developed into a national and international movement with consumers, brands, farmers, schools, hospitals and more all getting involved to support and promote kale. It’s so exciting to see this kind of passion around kale, but also around healthy eating.
National Kale Day has asked schools in all 50 States to celebrate — and around the country from Kodiak, Alaska to Georgetown University schools said KALE! and are celebrating. Below are a few highlights from our events, but visit our events page for more details.
- New York City Public Schools: Kale is on the menu in all New York City Public Schools — that’s right, 1.1 million students have the option to eat kale for lunch!
- Eskenazi Health, Indianapolis: Eskenazi Health is the largest public health system in Indiana. Sky Farm sits atop their new hospital and the entire hospital system has dedicated their menu to kale on October 1.
- Missoula County Public Schools (Missoula/MT): Jason Mandala and Edward Christensen are putting free kale chips on the lunch menu of all 13 schools, serving more than 5000 students.
- 11-11:30am EST — Kale Health Update (Online): Questions about kale’s health benefits and safety concerns grabbed headlines this year — What’s the truth about kale? Via our partnership with the Functional Forum, we will be live-streaming to thousands of physicians and health care providers around the country.
- 12-4pm — Union Square Market, New York City: Come celebrate with me and my co-founder Dr. Drew Ramsey at NYC’s largest green market.
- 1pm EST Twitter Party hosted by Courtney Crozier (Online): Courtney Crozier — contestant on The Biggest Loser — hosts a twitter party about all things kale. Brown bag it and share your kale lunch pics with us. Learn how healthy foods like kale helped Courtney transform her life and lets light up the twitter sphere with hashtag #kaleday2014
- 4-8pm EST — Queen of Kale Celebration (Atlanta/GA): The Atlanta National Kale Day event at OM Point Yoga Studio will be hosted by Queen of Kale Chips and National Kale Day sponsor and third generation kale day farmers WP Rawl & Sons will be hand. Click here for more details »
- 6-9pm EST — Tasty Kale Fest (Woodbridge/CT): Hosted by Tasty Kale, rock out with Eggy at Tasty Kale Fest and let’s sprinkle, sprinkle, shake, shake, crunch, crunch. Click here for more details »
- 6-9pm EST — The Art of Kale Party (New York City): To cap off this year’s events, there’s a number of kale-insprired parties being hosted across the country. The New York City event will be hosted by American Flatbread and our National Kale Day gold sponsors WP Rawl, San Miguel Produce, and Even Hotels. The event is no-cost and will feature great kale food and swag. Click here for more details and to RSVP.