Resources & Glossary

In this section, you'll find posts with resources on eating, cooking and living healthier - including a glossary for all vitamins, minerals and nutrients.

Vitamin C

Vitamin C has many important roles in human health. It acts as an anti-oxidant, protecting cells from damage from free radicals, which are metabolic byproducts. It’s essential to the production of collagen, a structural protein used in wound healing, tendons, bones, blood vessels and ligaments.

Vitamin K

Most people associate vitamin K with blood clotting, since the vitamin plays an essential role in several reactions that control blood clotting. New research suggests a role for vitamin K in bone health.

Calcium

Calcium is best known as a key component of bones, and in fact 99% of the calcium in our bodies is in bones in teeth. The other 1% in blood and cells is essential for many metabolic reactions.

Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)

Vitamin B2 plays an essential role in the metabolic system that produces energy from carbohydrates and fats. It is also a co-factor for reactions that convert other vitamins to active forms. Certain enzymes that act as antioxidants depend on vitamin B2, and this vitamin is critical to iron utilization in the body.

Manganese

Manganese is a mineral nutrient, required in small amounts, but extremely important to enzyme activity. Mitochondria, the cell’s energy-producing engines, are highly susceptible to oxygen damage.

Potassium

Potassium is the key electrolyte inside cells, and works with sodium to keep body fluids in balance. In addition to its role as an electrolyte, potassium is a component of bones, and is involved with muscle contraction, protein synthesis, acid-base balance and the electrical signals in the heart.

Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)

itamin B1, or thiamin, is an essential co-factor for enzyme reactions that control energy and glucose metabolism. It also plays a role in the synthesis of genetic building blocks like nucleic acids, DNA and RNA.

Vitamin E

Vitamin E acts as an antioxidant in the human body, protecting from damage caused by free radicals. Cell membranes are made primarily from lipids, which are highly susceptible to oxidative damage.