Snow covered windowsills and pouring rain is a great excuse to stay inside on a cold evening. Before you snuggle up on the couch, spend some time in the kitchen and make some tempting, spicy, and satisfying movie snacks that can also be enough for a meal. Pass the popcorn please!
- 1/4 cup unpopped corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon canola or grapeseed oil
- juice and zest of two limes
- 2 tablespoon grated cheese, Romano or Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chili powder such as cayenne or chipotle
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the corn kernels and the oil in a large skillet. Heat the large skillet over high heat. Immediately cover with a large lid and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cook the kernels 3 to 4 minutes, shaking the covered skillet occasionally until the popping slows and the lid is pushed up from the popped corn.
- In a large bowl, whisk the lime zest, juice, grated cheese, both chili powders, soy sauce, sugar and black pepper.
- Transfer the popped corn to a large bowl and toss with the spice mixture to coat. Transfer to a large baking sheet and bake 5 to 6 minutes stirring once until the popcorn is dry and fragrant.
- Serve immediately or transfer to an air tight container. Store on the counter top for up to one week.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 cup): 58 calories, 1 g protein, 7 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat (0 g saturated), 1 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 82 mg sodium.
Weight Watcher Plus Points: 2