Wednesday’s inaugural National Kale Day was a huge success, thank you all for your support and participation. We were able to bring together an extensive array of experts from the fitness, farming, health and cooking worlds. It also marked the culmination of over six months of hard work behind the scenes by a roster of volunteers, ambassadors and advisory board members, as well as myself, my co-founder Dr. Drew Ramsey and our executive producer Uli Iserloh.
Throughout the day, we held three hour-long panel discussions covering a whole world of health knowledge from kale’s culinary, health and social impact, and how superfoods like kale fit into the lives of doctors, fitness gurus, chefs and health coaches. One of the most popular sessions was our Kale Health Summit session with Dr. John La Puma, Dr. Linda Shiue, WellandGoodNYC’s Lisa Held and celebrity trainer Adam Rosante — a session which was featured in Google’s global newsletter (thanks!). Watch that session below…
October 2nd was our official celebration but our activities for National Kale Day will still be going on throughout the year! Please help us make it official: Sign the National Kale Day petition at Change.org, asking Congress and the President to declare the first Wednesday of every October the official National Kale Day! Check out our Google + page to learn more about National Kale Day on Air, and other events that we’ll be hosting this Fall and Winter.
Press Coverage For National Kale Day
In addition to huge crowds joining our live-streaming Hangouts On Air (watch the replays here), the National Kale Day also generated a tremendous amount of coverage in traditional press and online media — at last count, Google had 102,000 results for “National Kale Day” (awesome!). Below is a selection of pieces, enjoy!
- Celebrate National Kale Day Wednesday, Oct. 2: Join Team Kale LIVE! (Huffington Post)
- 5 People Who Are Psyched About National Kale Day (Salon)
- Celebrate National Kale Day (Kiwi Magazine)
- Is It Time To Cool It On Kale Already? (NPR National Public Radio)
- Happy National Kale Day! Learn How To Make Crispy Kale Chips At Home (The Business Insider)
- 5 Kale Recipes to Celebrate National Kale Day (Philadelphia Magazine)
- Want to Celebrate National Kale Day? (WellandGoodNYC)
- 5 Ways to Celebrate National Kale Day on Wednesday (Oregon Live)
- It’s National Kale Day! 12 Of The Best Ways To Eat It (Huffington Post)
- 10 Ways To Celebrate National Kale Day (MindBodyGreen)
- Dr. Drew Ramsey’s Love Affair With Kale (New York Magazine)
- Kale Recipe Is Worthy of Its Own Day (Detroit News)
- Simple And Fun Ways To Add Kale To Your Diet (On The Couch, WCBS2 New York)
- National Kale Day Celebrates All-Things Kale (Veg News)
- Forget National Kale Day! These Underrated Greens Deserve Some Love (Refinery29)
- National Kale Day Serves Up A Menu of Events (Digital Journal)
- National Kale Day (Hudson County TV)
- Celebrate National Kale Day with Tajai’s Raw Kale Salad (The Kitchen Mix)
- You’ve Got Kale (Orange County Register)
- All Hail The Kale! Get to Know This Super Leafy Green (The State)
- 8 Healthy Foods I Can’t Get My Kids To Eat!
- Meet Kale: Your New Best Friend (La Fleur Paris NY)
- National Kale Day (I Heart Vegetables)
- National Kale Day! +18 Compelling Reasons to Eat Kale + Recipes (Happy Herbivore)
- Happy National Kale Day! What are some of your best kale recipes? (Slowfood Boston)
- Dare You To Inaugurate National Kale Day (Dare You)
- National Kale Day! Tasting & Dress up! (Whole Foods)
Sign The Petition To Make It Official
Sign the National Kale Day petition at Change.org, asking Congress and the President to declare the first Wednesday of every October the official National Kale Day!
Lend Your Financial Support
It took a lot of work to assemble the campaign — but thanks to our dedicated team of volunteers, ambassadors and advisory board members we created a successful event… please make a small $5, $10 or $25 donation to our Indiegogo campaign to help paying the bills!