Ivy, my friend’s teenage daughter, is smart, witty, and outspoken.
She’s also a vegetarian. I wrote this recipe for her, and packed it with three non-meat forms of protein, tofu, beans, and cheese to be sure she’ll get what a growing girl needs!
- 1 14-ounce package of extra firm tofu
- 1 1-ounce package of taco seasoning, without MSG
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, drained, well rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 8 (9-inch) corn or whole wheat soft tortillas
- 8 ounces of grated part-skim mozzarella
- Place the tofu a large colander inside the sink and set a heavy saucepot directly on top of the tofu. Allow to drain 20 to 25 minutes until the tofu has shrunk slightly in size and a lot of the moisture has trained off. Cut into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the oil and the tofu. Sprinkle taco seasoning over the tofu and reduce the heat to med-high.
- Cook the tofu with the spices for 3-4 minutes, flipping occasionally with a spatula. Reduce the heat slightly if the spices begin to burn. Add the beans and the vegetable broth and simmer for 10 minutes or until the liquid reduces a sauce begins to form.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Cover a baking sheet with foil. Spray one side of half the tortillas with cooking spray and lay on the baking sheet. Divide cheese amongst the tortillas and spoon the tofu mixture over the cheese. Place the remaining tortillas on top and coat with cooking spray.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the tops are golden and the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 quesadilla): 588 calories, 42g protein, 75g carbohydrates, 13g fat (4 g saturated), 15mg cholesterol, 15g fiber, 554 mg sodium.
Wine Pairing: Sauvignon Blanc or Rioja