Nothing is more fragrant than homemade Indian food cooked with healthy spices!
Garam Masala is a North Indian style curry, that usually contains cumin, coriander and clove. If you can’t find Garam Masala, substitute with your favorite curry powder or make your own.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup "white" whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup minced shallots, about 2 small shallots
- 2 tablespoons ground garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup low-fat, plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons toasted, slivered almonds
- freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt. Place the flour on a sheet of wax paper or aluminum foil. Dredge chicken in the flour and shake off excess. In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil until hot but not smoking. Cook the chicken breasts until a golden brown crust forms on both sides, about 7-8 minutes total. Place the skillet into the oven until chicken is cooked through and its center is no longer pink, about 10-15 minutes more.
- Remove pan from the oven and place chicken on a platter. Pour off excess oil. Over medium-low heat, in the same pan, sauté shallots in the margarine. Add garam masala and cinnamon and cook for another 1-2 minute without browning shallots, though they will take on some color from the spices.
- Add the white wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce the liquid by half then add chicken stock and simmer 2-3 minutes until the liquid reduces by half. Turn off the heat, add the yogurt. Return the chicken to the pan and season with nutmeg. If you are using yogurt, allow the chicken to cool slightly before stirring it in. Sprinkle with almonds, and serve immediately.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 chicken breast plus 1/4 cup sauce): 335 calories, 35 g protein, 14 g carbohydrates, 13g fat (3 g saturated), 107 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 356 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 8