Baking with whole wheat flour is easy and can be delicious as long as you don’t overbake it.
These bars taste very close to the traditional version made with white flour.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 3/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8x8 dish with cooking spray. Place the sugar and oil in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on slow speed until the sugar is thick.
- Add the egg whites and vanilla extract and mix on low speed until well combined.
- Add the flour, oats, baking power, and salt. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and the nuts, stir 2 to 3 times until combined. With a rubber spatula scoop the mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until the dough is firm in the center and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 bar): 212 calories, 3 g protein, 28g carbohydrates, 10g fat (2 g saturated), 16 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 101 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 6