German’s are famous for their gingerbread and this cake is my moist version using the same spices that make the cookies so flavorful.
This large sheet cake can fed a crowd and is ideal for winter time cocktail parties. Serve this at your next winter celebration with mulled hot spiced tea or mulled wine.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound of confectioner's sugar (about 2 1/4 cup)
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup non-fat, skim milk
- 1/2 cup of slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Lightly grease and flour a jelly roll pan or cut a piece of parchment paper to fit neatly in the bottom of the pan. In a large bowl, cream the butter or margarine and brown sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- In a small separate bowl, mix milk, vinegar, and baking soda. Blend in egg whites, vanilla, and honey. Set aside. In another large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and salt.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter in three batches, alternating with the milk, until just combined. Do not overmix. Smooth the batter into pan and bake for 18-20 minutes until cake springs back to the touch or a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Place pan on a cooling rack while you prepare the icing.
- Combine all ingredients for the icing (except nuts) in a large bowl. Beat on medium speed for several minutes to make a loose, pourable icing. While the cake is still warm, spread icing with a spatula and sprinkle with nuts. Cool an additional 30 minutes before slicing.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 piece): 142 calories, 1 g protein, 21g carbohydrates, 6 g fat (3 g saturated), 13 mg cholesterol, .8 g fiber, 58mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 3
Wine Pairings: Chardonnay, Riesling, Rose