My husband says that pork is the food of the gods and I think most men would agree!
Last time I made pulled pork for my neighbor Claudio’s birthday party, we saw 30 pounds of pulled pork vanish in just under 2 hours. Watch your fingers ladies when you set this out for your next party.
Did You Know…
Why does pork smell so sweet? Molecules called lactones, also found in peaches and coconut, give pork its luscious aroma.
Makes 22 sandwiches
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 5 pounds pork loin end roast, well trimmed of fat
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 large Vidalia onions, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 12-ounce bottle of beer, pilsner
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 14-ounce bottle of BBQ sauce, I love Hoboken Eddie's
- 1 dried Chipotle chili (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- Sprinkle the pork with salt on both sides. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Coat the skillet with cooking spray and brown the pork on all sides, turning occasionally (10-12 minutes total). Transfer to a crockpot set to high or stockpot over low heat.
- In the same skillet, add the olive oil and onions. Cook the onions over medium heat stirring occasionally until they begin to soften (8-10 minutes). Add a tablespoon of water if they begin to stick. Add garlic and cook an addition 2-3 minutes until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Transfer onions and garlic to the crockpot or stockpot. Pour half the beer into the skillet and scrap any brown bits sticking to the surface of the pan. Add the beer mixture to the crock or stockpot. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook 6 to 8 hours in the crockpot or simmer in the stockpot over low heat 3-4 hours, or until the meat is tender and begins to break apart. Break up the meat with a fork.
- Serve on hamburger buns or with warmed tortillas. Forget about storing leftovers, there won't be any!
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 Sandwich): 454 calories, 35 g protein, 37 g carbohydrates, 17 g fat (6g saturated), 88 mg cholesterol, 2g fiber, 612 mg sodium
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 11