Creamy refried beans are a perfect side dish for any Mexican main course. Beans and smoky bacon are a delectable combo but I use turkey bacon to keep them light and lower in fat.
If you’re hooked on pork bacon and have a clean bill of health, go ahead and use it, just cut the amount in half to keep the calories low.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 small white onion or 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans of "no salt added" black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, bacon, onion, jalapeño, and garlic. Cook 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally until the bacon becomes fragrant and the onions soften. Add the beans, oregano, and 1/2 cup of water.
- Occasionally stir and mash the beans with the back of a wooden spoon as they cook 15-20 minutes more. Add an additional 1/4 cup water if the beans mixture becomes too dry. Stir in salt if needed and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 cup): 348 calories, 25 g protein, 50 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 12g fiber, 266 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 8