This flavorful shredded beef can be cooked ahead and added to your favorite dish. I like to use it for burritos, tacos, and enchiladas.
Stew beef is a lean way to enjoy beef, long slow cooking is the ticket when it comes to taste.
Makes 3 cups of shredded beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 (15 ounce) can fat free, reduced sodium beef broth
- Warm the oil in a large stockpot over high heat. Brown the beef 5 to 6 minutes turning once or twice. Reduce the heat to medium and add the cumin, chili, paprika, and star anise. Cook an additional minute until the spices become fragrant. Add the beef broth and bring to a slow boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook 1 to 1/2 hours until the beef is tender, adding a little water if the beef starts to stick. Cool slightly then shred with your fingers or two forks.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (Serving size: 1/2 cup): 265 calories, 34 g protein, 0 g carbohydrates, 12g fat (4 g saturated), 73 mg cholesterol, 0g fiber, 112 mg sodium
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 6