Hands down, this smear beats the plastic tub icing that comes from the grocery store.
Easy to spread, it works on almost any cake and is ideal for icing cupcakes. Not a fan of heavy buttercream frostings – then this is your new birthday cake topping.
Makes 1 1/2 cups icing
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 8 tablespoons trans-fat free, reduced fat margarine, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dissolve the coffee granules in the sour cream and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the rest of the ingredients with an electric mixer 2-3 minutes until smooth and thick. On low speed, blend in sour cream mixture and frost cake. Icing can be made up to two days in advance.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1/4 cup): 115 calories, 1 g protein, 16 g carbohydrates, 5 g fat (0 g saturated), 1 mg cholesterol, .8 g fiber, 233 mg sodium
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 2
Wine Pairing: Ruby Port