Sweet oranges and tart cranberries are a pretty pair!
I always keep a bag of cranberries in my freezer year-round since they disappear from the produce isle after the winter holidays.
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or pastry wheat flour
- 1 cup plain or vanilla protein powder
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (one stick), room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup low-fat, 1% buttermilk
- 1 orange, zested and juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries or 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners. In a large bowl mix flour, protein powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter and sugar, with a wooden spoon, until well combined. Stir in buttermilk, orange zest and juice, eggs, and cranberries - the mixture will look broken. Add the flour mixture. Mix batter until it just comes together about 10 to 15 turns; do not over mix, or the muffins will be tough.
- Fill muffin papers to the edge. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until muffins spring back to the touch.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely before storing in an air-tight container for up to 3 week.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 muffin): 181 calories, 7 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat (5 g saturated), 51 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 116 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 5