Sweet oranges and tart cranberries are a pretty pair!
I always keep a bag of cranberries in my freezer year-round since they disappear from the produce isle after the winter holidays.
- 2 cups "white" whole wheat or pastry wheat flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (one stick), room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup low-fat, 1% buttermilk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, zest from one large orange
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Heat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners. In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix butter, sugar until well combined. Stir in buttermilk, orange juice, oil, eggs, oil, orange zest. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and the cranberries. Pour wet mixture into well. Mix batter until just moistened; do not over mix.
- Fill muffin tins three-fourths full. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until muffins test done.
- Meanwhile, stir together glaze ingredients until smooth. Remove muffins from cups to a wire rack. Place a sheet of waxed paper underneath rack to catch glaze drippings. Cool completely before storing in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 muffin): 147 calories, 2 g protein, 21 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat (3 g saturated), 15 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 94 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 4