Miso is a savory fermented paste made from soy beans, rice or barley.
There are many different varieties on the market, ranging from light to dark, depending on how long they are aged. Look out for the low-sodium variety, since this thick, peanut butter looking paste can be quite salty.
- Miso Dressing:
- 1/4 cup white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons mirin or sweet white wine
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 Italian eggplants, (about 1 pound), cut into round rings
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Make the dressing. Whisk together dressing ingredients, adding a little water if the dressing is too thick and set aside. Heat a grill or grill pan over high heat.
- Coat the eggplant with a thin layer of the cooking spray. Grill eggplants until golden brown and tender about 4 to 6 minutes total, turning occassionally basting it with dressing.
- Transfer eggplant to a large platter. Garnish with cilantro and serve with remaining dressing.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1/4 pound grilled eggplant): 126 calories, 1 g protein, 27 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber,487 mg sodium
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 4