I’m a big cake fan, though I only indulge on special occasions!
Serve this low-fat, protein-packed cake with Spiced Hot Cocoa in the winter or chilled mint ice tea in the spring!
Looking for a light treat for mother’s day? Mom will grin when you tell her that this delicious cake is low-fat!
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole toasted almonds, finely ground in a food processor or nut grinder
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup trans-fat free margarine
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 3 egg whites
- 2/3 cup low-fat, 1% buttermilk
- non-stick cooking spray
- Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 325° F. Coat a 10-cup Bundt® pan with cooking spray. Sift the flour together with the baking powder and salt over a sheet of waxed paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the almonds, sugar, margarine, lemon and lime zest and juice with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl, until the mixture is evenly blended.
- Reduce the speed to low and fold in the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk milk and beginning and ending with the flour, until the batter is smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, spreading the batter so the sides are higher than the center. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 50 to 55 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the cake cool upright in the pan for 10 minutes. Let the cake cool completely, at least 2 hours, before serving.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving: 298 calories, 4 g protein, 37 g carbohydrates, 14g fat (1 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 292 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® PointsPlus: 8