Asparagus is the quintessential spring vegetable but is easy to find year-round.
Balsamic mixed with chicken broth and cornstarch adds a sweet-and-sour flavor to this dish. Top with grilled, sliced chicken to make it a meal.
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or thinly sliced
- 1 bunch green asparagus, trimmed, cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup cubed fresh mozzarella
- In a small bowl combine vinegar and cornstarch. Set aside. Warm the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds until it becomes fragrant. Add the asparagus and cook 2-3 minutes until it begins to brown. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken stock and cover. Cook 3-4 minutes until the asparagus is crisp tender. Stir in the balsamic mixture and reduce the heat to low. Stir until a thick sauce forms. Off the heat stir in the mozzarella and basil. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1/2 cups): 91 calories. 5 g protein, 8 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat (1 g saturated), mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 372 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 2