Blinis are little pancakes that are usually topped with caviar.
My blinis are thinner like crepes and I like to serve them rolled with blueberry sauce or fresh chives and sour cream. They make a great substitution for sandwich bread, just add a slice of turkey and cheese and roll.
Serves 4, makes 12 blini
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups non-fat, skim milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil
- In a blender or food processor, blend the flour, salt, eggs, egg whites, milk, and 1 tablespoon of the canola oil. Refrigerate two hours or overnight.
- Heat a small non-stick crepe pan or skillet over medium-high heat, and lightly coat the pan with the remaining canola oil. Ladle about 2 tablespoons of the batter into the pan, 1-inch apart. Cook until bubbles form on the top, about 2 minutes, then turn. Cook an additional 2 minutes until the blini are cooked throughout.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (2 blinis): 172 calories. 6 g protein, 22 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat (1 g saturated), 3 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 181 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 4