Moist pumpkin and rich chocolate make an outrageous dessert pair.
Pumpkin has tons of beta carotene, an important antioxidant and the chocolate has flavonoids which also boost the levels of antioxidants in this bread pudding.
- 6 cups day-old whole grain or whole wheat bread (11 ounces)
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, light or dark
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Non-stick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and spices. Add the bread cubes and stir. Set aside and allow to soak for 4 to 5 minutes or until half the liquid is absorbed by the bread.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350ºF and coat an 8-inch square baking dish or 5-quart round Dutch oven with cooking spray.
- Gently fold in the pumpkin and chocolate chips. Transfer the mixture to the baking dish and cover with foil. Bake 35 minutes or until mixture is slightly firm. Remove foil and continue to bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes until the chips are melted and the top has darkened slightly.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 cup): 248 calories, 8 g protein, 44 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat (2 g saturated), 1 mg cholesterol, 4g fiber, 234 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 6