I call this tasty drink “Charlie’s” Chai named after my former staff photographer. Charlie’s face lit up when I offer to prepare a batch during a long day of shooting.
Chai is a hot tea beverage that comes from India, deliciously sweet and spicy. Its rich flavor is a great substitute for coffee addicts trying to kick the habit! If you want to have a cup each morning, brew triple the batch and store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to one week.
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar or sugar in the raw
- 1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, washed and thinly sliced
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 3 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 tablespoons loose black tea, like English breakfast or Irish breakfast
- 2 cups non-fat, skim milk
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, sugar, ginger, peppercorns, and cardamom pods to a boil. Stir in tea and milk and bring to a near boil. Strain and serve in coffee mugs.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 1/4 cup): 149 calories, 9 g protein, 26 g carbohydrates, 0g fat (0 g saturated), 4 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 145 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 2
Make It A Meal: The recipe featured above goes nicely with Charlie's Chai.