A family favorite, chicken paprikash is a creamy Hungarian stew that my granny excelled at preparing.
Her chicken was moist and delicate, so be gentle when cooking your bird and never let the pot come to a full boil! Serve a side of something green for extra nutrition and color.
- 3 pounds of bone-in chicken legs and thighs, skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black or white pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, minced
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken pieces with salt and white pepper. Place the flour in a zipper lock bag. Add the chicken to the bag and shake to coat. Shake off excess flour. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add the oil. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the butter. When the margarine is melted, add the chicken pieces in batches, browning on all sides until a light brown crust forms about 4 to 5 minutes per batch.
- Remove chicken to a plate. Add carrot, onion, and celery to the same skillet. Cook the vegetables until they begin to soften and the onion is soft and translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the paprika and garlic, cooking an additional 1 to 2 minutes until the garlic becomes fragrant. Add the white wine and scrape any browned bits sticking to the bottom of the pan. Return the chicken to the pan and add the stock and bay leaf. Bring to a near boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer on low heat, partially covered about 40 to 45 minutes until the chicken is tender and the meat closest to the thighbone is no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the bone and discard the bay leaf. Allow the liquid to cool slightly. Gradually stir in 1/4 of the sour cream into the liquid remaining liquid. Add the remaining sour cream and stir gently to combine. Return the chicken to the sauce and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1/2 pound of chicken plus sauce): 432 calories, 53 g protein, 15 g carbohydrates, 12 g fat (4 g saturated), 166 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 515 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 9