My granny always had so much leftover zucchini in her garden, it was a challenge to use it all. I invented this recipe when she gifted me a huge bag of zucchini one summer fresh from her garden. Zucchini is very high in water and fiber content. It’s the perfect way to moisten brownies without adding extra fat and get extra fiber in your diet.
First published in 2007, this recipe – along with my recipe for Zucchini Bread – is consistently among the most downloaded ones here on SkinnyChef.com!
Make 12, 1.5 ounce brownies
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 5 ounces 70% cocoa dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini, (about 1 large zucchini)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or light olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 8x8-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Place both types of flour in a large bowl along with the cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. Whisk and set aside.
- Place chocolate in an ovenproof dish and place in the oven, 5 to 6 minutes until just melted. Or place chocolate in a glass dish and microwave (30 seconds to 1 minute) until melted. Set out on the counter top to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk the zucchini, sugar, oil, egg, vanilla and melted chocolate until well blended. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour mixture until just incorporated, the mixture should be thick and fudgy. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the pan. Cool completely in the pan and cut into squares. Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 brownie): 211 calories. 2 g protein, 35 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat (3 g saturated), 0.3 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 115 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 6