This cake might seem like the devil’s work, but the ingredients are angelically light!
Indulge yourself with this not-so-naughty chocolate cake, that can also be used for cupcakes, birthday cakes, and sheet cakes.
- 1 cups "white" whole wheat flour, plus flour for dusting pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 cup low-fat 1% buttermilk
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee, chilled
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- non-fat cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat a 9-inch cake or spring-form pan with non-stick spray. Dust with flour; shake off excess. Over a large mixing bowl, sift both types of flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the brown sugar, buttermilk, coffee, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla. Gradually whisk in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm or cool completely before icing with chocolate sour cream icing
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 cupcake with icing or one 2-ounce slice of cake with icing): 242 calories. 5 g protein, 42 g carbohydrates, 7 g fat (1 g saturated), 2 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 165 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 7
Wine Pairing: Red Zinfandel