Baked in ramekins, these creamy mounds of eggplant unmold easily, a sure-fire hit for your next dinner party when you serve them on salad plates with extra sauce.
Any one who loves eggplant Parmesan will like this low-carb version.
Serves 8, 1 cup per serving
- 1 large Italian eggplants, (about 1 1/4 pound) stems removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 28-oz can "no salt added" whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15-ounce container low-fat ricotta
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano
- 2 egg whites
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella
- Peel eggplant and slice length-wise into 1/8 inch thick pieces. Sprinkle both sides with salt and allow to rest on a paper towel while you prepare the sauce and filling.
- With an immersion blender or in a food processor, puréed tomatoes, garlic, onion, vinegar, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk ricotta and egg whites together. Stir in Pecorino and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Dry eggplant slices with a dishtowel or paper towel to remove the bitter juices. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the slices on both sides, 4-5 minute per side until the eggplant is almost cooked through. Place on a paper towel to catch the excess oil.
- Spray 8 six-oz ramekins or foil cups with cooking spray. Line each ramekin with eggplant slices then add 1 tablespoon of the tomato sauce. Fill each ramekin almost to the top with the ricotta mixture. Cover with a few pieces of the torn basil, and top with additional tomato sauce. Sprinkle two tablespoons of the mozzarella
- Place the ramekins on a cookie sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes until the cheese begins to brown around the edges. Cool 1-2 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 1/2 cup): 239 calories, 17 g protein,16 g carbohydrates, 11 g fat (5 g saturated), 32 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 464 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 6
Wine Pairing: Rose, Pinot Noir