Grapefruit and buttermilk are both high in nutrition, but create a tender texture in baked goods.
When I bake these for friends’ birthdays, no one guesses that they are made with grapefruit. Regardless, they disappear fast! Watch Better TV clip featuring this recipe!. If you’re taking prescription medication check with your doctor before enjoying grapefruit.
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup 1% buttermilk or plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup 100% pink grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon pink grapefruit zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Ingredients for Icing
- 1 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Beat in egg white. Combine lemon extract, juice, zest, and buttermilk in a small bowl. Add half the buttermilk mixture and beat on low speed. Add half the flour mixture and beat just until combined. Repeat with remaining buttermilk and flour mixture. Divide batter evenly into the prepared cups. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cupcakes spring back when the tops are pressed or until a toothpick tester comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the muffin pan an cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, beat ingredients for icing until smooth. Once the cupcakes are cool, use a small spatula or butter knife to ice them. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 cupcake with icing): 197 calories, 3 g protein, 27 g carbohydrates, 8 g fat (5 g saturated), 27 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 148 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 5