Winter is the perfect time for soup and this one can even help you to keep your New Year’s resolution.
High in protein and low in fat, this chunky soup will help you to feel full without packing on the pounds.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons no salt added tomato paste
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 32-ounce container of reduced sodium, low-fat beef broth or chicken broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and chopped
- 1 5-ounce package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can no salt added stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham, about 8 ounces
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat or gluten free elbows or other small pasta
- In a large dutch oven or large stockpot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, tomato paste and garlic and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the broth, zucchini, mushrooms, carrots and celery. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce to a simmer for 30 to 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the canned tomatoes along with their liquid, ham, broccoli and pasta. Cook an additional 8 to 10 minutes or until pasta is cooked through and broccoli is tender. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (2 cups): 297 calories. 22 g protein, 33 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat (2 g saturated), 32 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 707 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 8