One of my youngest clients, Sarah, dubbed this lemony breakfast treat the “polka-dot muffin”.
To save time, double the amount of batter and freeze half a batch in paper muffin liners. When you’re ready for another fresh- baked round, pop them into a muffin pan and bake in your pre-heated oven!
- 1 cup "white" whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup whey protein powder, vanilla or plain
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup low-fat, buttermilk
- zest of one lemon (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons poppy seed
- Heat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners. Combine flour, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl or zipper lock bag. Stir well to combine.
- In a medium bowl, mix sugar and butter with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in eggs, buttermilk, lemon zest juice, lemon juice, and poppy seeds. Add flour and stir until a batter forms, about 10 strokes with a wooden spoon. Don’t over mix, otherwise your muffins will be tough.
- Fill muffin papers to the top edgel. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until muffins spring back to the touch. Cool completely before storing in an air-tight container for up to a week.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 muffin): 182 calories, 7 g protein, 18 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat (5 g saturated), 51 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 106 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 5