One of my youngest clients, Sarah, dubbed this lemony breakfast treat the “polka-dot muffin”.
To save time, double the amount of batter and freeze half a batch in paper muffin liners. When you’re ready for another fresh- baked round, pop them into a muffin pan and bake in your pre-heated oven!
- 2 1/4 cups "white" whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup low-fat, sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons poppy seed
- Heat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl or zipper lock bag. Stir well to combine.
- In a medium bowl, mix sugar and butter until smooth. Stir in egg white, sour cream, lemon juice, extract, lemon zest, and poppy seed. Add flour and mix until a batter forms, about 10 strokes with a wooden spoon. Don’t over mix, otherwise your muffins will be tough.
- Fill muffin tins three-fourths full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until muffins spring back to the touch. Cool completely before storing in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 muffin): 191 calories, 3 g protein, 30 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat (5 g saturated), 21 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 136 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 5