Steaming green beans can make them limp and tasteless. This green bean dish cooks them directly in oil and allows their moisture to cook them through until tender, no steaming required.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound green beans or haricots verts (French green beans), ends trimmed
- 4 shallots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or mint leaves, thinly sliced
- Warm a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, green beans, and shallots. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, until the green beans and shallots start to brown. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook 1 to 2 minutes more, until the green beans are fork tender. Sprinkle with the basil or mint and serve immediately.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (2 cups): 128 calories, 1 g protein, 3 g carbohydrates, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 g cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 307 g sodium
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 3