Fresh goat cheese adds tang and texture to this classic appetizer.
If you can’t find turkey sausage, try chopping up spicy precooked chicken sausage instead, and skip the first step. Turkey or chicken breakfast sausage would also work well.
- 4 ounces spicy turkey sausage (about 2 links), crumbled
- 24 white button or Cremini mushrooms, stems removed and reserved
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, one sprig left whole, plus 2 teaspoon minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine (optional)
- 1/4 cup low-fat, skim milk
- 1 6-ounce package of fresh goat cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced fat Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Heat a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, stirring occasionally, breaking it up with a spoon as it browns. I like my sausage well-done, so I cook for about 20 to 25 minutes until the meat is a rich golden brown.
- While the sausage is cooking, prepare the mushrooms. With a damp paper towel or dishcloth, wipe off any dirt clinging to the mushroom caps and stems. Remove stems, mince them and set aside. Place mushroom caps, stem side up in a 9-inch baking dish with one of the sprigs of rosemary. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of wine or water and bake 8 to 10 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- Once the sausage is well browned. Add 2 tablespoons of the milk and scrap any brown bits sticking to the bottom of your pan. Place the sausage and its juices into a large bowl along with the minced mushroom stems. Stir in the goat cheese, Parmesan, minced rosemary and season with salt and pepper. If the mixture seems heavy, add the remaining milk.
- Fill each mushroom with 1 teaspoon of sausage mixture. Bake the mushrooms for an additional 10 to 12 minutes until the filling is hot. Serve immediately. Warning: These guys move fast so if you might want to prepare a back-up plan or make double!
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (6 mushrooms): 104 calories, 8g protein, 3 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat (3 g saturated), 16mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 221 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 3