The hamburger is an iconographic American food. Easy to eat, a pleasure when cooked on the grill, who says you should give it up?
Simply substitute America’s favorite fast food version with this lean, mean, protein machine, the turkey burger!
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium, soy sauce
- 1/2 cup non-fat, skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1 pound lean ground turkey meat
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- ketchup for serving (optional)
- Place breadcrumbs into a bowl with soy sauce and milk, mix with fingers until the bread is completely broken up and no lumps remain. Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Add egg and mix well, then add turkey and garlic, folding gently with your hands until the liquid is evenly incorporated. Form small patties one inch in diameter. In a medium oven-proof skillet, gently brown each burger. Slide the skillet into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the center of the burgers are no longer pink.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 burger with bun): 394 calories, 32 g protein, 42 g carbohydrates, 11 g fat (2 g saturated), 78 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 786 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 10