This turkey chili makes a tasty, high-protein meal, because it’s made with lean ground turkey. Get creative with the topping, a tablespoon of your favorite cheese, salsa, or sour cream.
Beans add a good dose of fiber but if you want to ramp up the nutrition even more, add a handful of your favorite green, such as kale or spinach during the last minute of cooking.
Serves 6, makes 2 quarts
- 1 pound ground turkey meat, preferably dark
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil or canola oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoon sweet chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 15-ounce can reduced sodium beef broth or chicken broth*
- 1 28-ounce can, crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can "no salt added" kidney beans or navy beans, drained, rinsed
- Sprinkle the turkey with salt and pepper. Heat the oil over high heat in a large stockpot. Add the turkey and cook 1 to 2 minutes,without turning or stirring, so the turkey can brown. Decrease the heat to medium and add the onions, carrots, celery, sweet chili powder, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes, tomato paste and brown sugar. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions, carrots, and celery start to soften and the tomato paste becomes fragrant.
- Add the broth, and canned tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and reduce immediately to a simmer, cooking for about 45 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Before serving, fold in the kidney or navy beans during the last 2 minutes of cooking and serve.
- Note: not all brands of store bought broths are not gluten free. Gluten can be hiding in starches or in “natural flavors” which sometimes contain brewer’s yeast. Kitchen basics is one brand that seems to be consistently gluten free. When in doubt make your own chicken broth.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 1/2 cups): 260 calories, 23 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 8 g fat (3 g saturated), 70 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 892 mg sodium
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 6