I took this American classic to a healthier new level by adding turkey and whole wheat pasta.
Haven’t met a family yet who doesn’t love spaghetti and meatballs and this is an easy way to introduce your little ones to whole wheat products.
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated sweet red bell pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound of ground turkey, dark meat preferably
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 28-ounce cans of chopped tomatoes
- sprig of fresh basil
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta or gluten free pasta , cooked according to the package instructions
- Soak breadcrumbs in egg and red pepper, breaking up the mixture with your fingers until smooth. Add Parmesan, salt and pepper, mixing until well combined.
- Add meat and garlic. Combine with bread mixture until the bread is well incorporated. Form two-inch meatballs and place on a sheet of aluminum or wax paper.
- Heat a large skillet on high heat and add olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the meatballs and cook 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally until the meatballs are golden brown on all sides.
- Add tomatoes and basil. Reduce to a simmer. Cook 10-15 minutes, covered, until the sauce thickens and the meatballs are cooked throughout. Serve immediately with pasta.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (about 2 cups): 355 calories, 28 g protein, 47 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat (1 g saturated), 74 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 530 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 8