I devised this recipe as an alternative to the average, more caloric party appetizer.
Compliment the juicy texture of zucchini by combining it with a light layer of salty, flavorful tapenade. It can be assembled ahead and popped in the oven while you are serving your guests drinks.
- 2 medium zucchini, stems removed, cut in half length-wise
- 2 tablespoons olive tapenade
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts, chopped and divided
- 1 cup grated mozzarella, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- In a large stockpot, steam the zucchini for 8-10 minutes until it begins to soften but is still firm to the touch. Remove and place zucchini cut side up on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. In a medium bowl, mix tapenade, half of the pine nuts, half of the mozzarella, and 1 tablespoon of the parsley. Place zucchini face side up on. Cover each half of zucchini with a then layer of the tapenade mixture and top with the remaining cheese.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil if using and bake 20-25 minutes until cheese is bubbly and starts to brown. Allow zucchini boats to cool a few minutes, then slice into two-inch chunks and sprinkle with remaining pine nuts and parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (3 pieces): 79 calories, 4 g protein, 2 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat (2 g saturated), 11 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 126 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 2