At the end of the summer, Granny always had plenty of zucchini hanging on the vines in her garden.
She would serve these fritters hot, but I like to prepare them ahead and offer them room temperature for a late morning brunch buffet.
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup tarragon, chopped (optional)
- 1/8-1/4 tsp nutmeg (I love nutmeg so I add 1/4)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound zucchini, (about 2 medium) stems removed, grated
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the zucchini in a large bowl. Whisk to form a batter, removing large lumps, about 1-2 minutes. Grate the zucchini and add it to the bowl. The moisture from the zucchini will produce a thick batter as you stir. Use the batter immediately.
- Heat olive or canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Using a 1/4-cup measure, pour out 3-4 cakes. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Drain on paper towel.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (4 fritters): 218 calories, 10g protein, 16g carbohydrates,12g fat (3 g saturated), 101 mg cholesterol, 1g fiber, 390 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers® Points Plus: 6