Making delicious healthy Mexican food at home is easy, and a great way to get more balanced nutrition by tucking in beans and leafy greens. Both beans and green are antioxidant powerhouses that are versatile and tasty.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 1-ounce package of taco seasoning, without MSG or homemade taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodiumblack beans, drained, well rinsed
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 8 (9-inch) corn or whole wheat soft tortillas
- 8 ounces of grated part-skim mozzarella (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups spinach or chopped kale
- Sprinkle the chicken with the taco seasoning. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the oil. Add the chicken and reduce the heat to med-high.
- Cook the chicken 4 to 5 minutes, flipping once or twice until it is well browned. Reduce the heat slightly if the spices begin to burn. Add the beans and 1/2 cup water; simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until the liquid reduces a sauce begins to form, and the chicken is cooked through.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Cover a baking sheet with foil. Spray one side of half the tortillas with cooking spray and lay on the baking sheet. Divide cheese between the tortillas and spoon the chicken mixture over the cheese. Sprinkle with the spinach or kale. Fold the tortillas over and transfer to the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until the tops are golden and the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving (1 quesadilla): 406 calories, 30 g protein, 42g carbohydrates, 11g fat (3 g saturated), 54mg cholesterol, 6g fiber, 454 mg sodium.
Wine Pairing: Sauvignon Blanc or Rioja